Dictionary.com defines Feminine as this:
1. Pertaining to a woman or girl: feminine beauty; feminine dress.
2. having qualities traditionally ascribed to women, as sensitivity or gentleness.
3. Effeminate; womanish: a man with a feminine walk.
4. Belonging to the female sex; female: feminine staff members.
A website online gave tips for how to become more feminine: these tips were:
- Take care of your hair and make sure it smells good. It’s okay if your hair is slightly frizzy or imperfect, as long as it is not stringy and/or greasy. Also, try to keep your hair out of your face.
- Only wear as much makeup as you need. Always have powder handy wherever you go. Keep make-up minimal. You decide how much, but TOO much isn’t very attractive. Many may view you as insecure and in reality not very beautiful, as you have so much to cover up. If you use more then 10 minutes in front of the mirror, you should think about toning it down.
- Wear neat but conservative clothes. Really short skirts come across as slutty, not feminine.
- Don’t be loud and obnoxious.
- Don’t fish for compliments. Be confident even if you aren’t completely happy with yourself. Even if you aren’t the prettiest or skinniest girl, if you believe in yourself, chances are it will have a positive effect.
- Remove unattractive body hair. Wax your upper lip if necessary and tweeze your eyebrows.
- Be confident and happy. Nothing is more beautiful than a smiling woman.
- Try not to use profanities. We all do it, but if you could make a sailor blush, you should think about toning it down.
- Be aware of your body posture. Chin up high, straight in the back and think positive thoughts.
- Intelligence is a big one. Most people like smart women who are able to have a discussion about something. Don’t make yourself dumb.
http://www.wikihow.com/Be-FeminineFinally a test online ask questions that would determine how feminine you are the questions were:
You love to shop. Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never
Gossiping about celebrities and friends is a fun way to pass the time. Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never
You are squeamish about rodents, spiders, and blood. Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never
You would rather be a fashion designer than a fighter pilot. Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never
When you get sad, you tend to break down and cry. Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never
You enjoy beauty for its own sake. You like to be surrounded by beautiful things. Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never
You enjoy a good romantic story – true or fictional. Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never
If someone disagrees strongly with you, your first instinct is change the subject or compromise. Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never You tend to judge people based on what your intuition tells you. Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never
You think that working with children or animals could be very fulfilling. Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never
These three websites all define Feminine in a way that is very stereotypical. It calls for women to completely conform to their gender role and become the perfect housewife. The online quiz applies aspects of a “women’s live” to what makes her feminine. She is suppose to be afraid of bugs, love shopping, when in a fight try to compromise, have a thing referred to as a “intuition” love children. All of these images of feminine have consequences for those who do not fit into the norm. Girls, who like to play outside, be adventurous, are considered tomboys; Boys who like fashion, like to bake and are nurturing are said to be feminine and are rejecting their male roles. It seems that this idea as to what it means to be feminine is very confining and has terrible implications for the future, because it reinforces what is means to be a “women” and what it means to not, therefore only furthering male supremacy. It is alright to want to wear a dress, and to wear pink, but it is not ok to be expected to act feminine and be looked down upon for not conforming.